Monday, January 31, 2011

Project Monday - Auction Album

(Front Scrapbook Cover)
A few weeks ago I covered this scrapbook album. I have been making these albums for years, as in 17 years... wow! I can't believe its been that long. I first got the idea when my college roommate and each of her sisters were given photo albums covered in shirts that had belonged to their father. He had passed away after his body rejected the heart he had received in a heart transplant. A family member of theirs made amazing albums for all 4 of the girls and I was so moved by the simple idea that I decided I wanted to make them for people that are special in my life.
 
(Front & Back)
I started making them for weddings, then for babies and now I make them for donations as well. The company I work for does an annual 'After Christmas' Party in January in lieu of a Christmas party in December.  Instead of dinner and dancing all of the employees donate auction items.  Some are hand crafted, others are purchased gift cards and somethings are gift baskets, some are even regifted/recycled Christmas gifts.  We all gather for appetizers and check out the items in the silent portion of the auction. There is also a raffle where we can purchase tickets and place our purchased tickets into the box for the item we hope we get drawn from in the raffle portion. Then after dinner we hold an actual auction where we bid on the higher dollar items. 

(Scrapbook Back Cover)
This year my company raised over $11,000 for our local Meals on Wheels chapter. As a company we vote, usually in Novemeber for the local organization we want to donate our proceeds to. I think this is such an amazing idea. Every item is donated and then purchased by employees and or spouses of my company.  It still blows my mind we raised $11,000 buying each others donated items! 

No comments:

Post a Comment