Saturday, December 25, 2010

Current Event Saturday - My Christmas Story

(A Christmas Story Gift Shop Tee Shirt)
The year that I first saw the movie 'A Christmas Story' was the year it came out on TV for the first time.  I was probaby somewhere around 5th grade.  That would make me, what, about 10 or 11-ish, yeah something like that.  I remember the gifts all wrapped and sitting ready to open weeks before Christmas.  I never was much for trying to figure out which ones were for who, but my sister was, so I always ended up knowing which ones were mine without even a slight peek here and there.

This particular year there was a long slender box for me.  I thought long and hard for weeks about what in the world could that possibly be.  Most years my dad has never been good at keeping a straight face when you guessed what your gift was. This time though, I never got that face from him.  So as Christmas drew closer our plans that year were that we were spending Christmas in Southern Californina with my grandparents, my mom's parents. 

Christmas Eve we all gathered around the big TV in Grandma's living room, a room that rarely was ever used, so that was exciting all on its own. The big show for the night, yep, A Christmas Story!  I was LOVING this show and about the time Ralphie opened his gifts it hit me, OMG, in the long slender box... it HAS to be a bebee gun, that seriously HAS to be it! Finally, I got that 'look' on my dad's face and wouldn't you know it the next morning, my dad got me my very own bebee gun.  It wasn't a Red Ryder but it was a Daisy.  I still don't know if this was a coinscidence or if my dad is that good. But it was the best hidden hint ever if that was the case.


I spent the rest of the day shooting pop cans out in the desert behind my grandparents house.  My story isn't the same as Ralphie's as I never asked for a bebee gun, but my dad just knew I would love it.  He was right.  It wasn't the first time he was right and I'm sure its not the last.  And as luck would have it I asked my dad if he still had my Daisy about 3 or 4 months ago and he said he couldn't find it, then low and behold last week he found it.  He even said he fixed up a little for me.  Guess its time I go pick it up from him!


Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope this year has brought you the most memorable of moments with you and your loved ones and that you may never forget the reason for this blessed day.  Happy birthday to Jesus Lord and Savior.  A King is Born, Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment